CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Valient Viewers of Braver Homes and Gardens

Friday, April 9, 2010

Obi (Wrong) Wan Kenobi

Many sewists find sewing inspiration from watching movies. Myrna Loy’s nightgowns in The Thin Man, Madonna’s suit in Evita, Holly Golightly’s little black dress in Breakfast at Tiffany’s, just to name a few.


I found inspiration from watching the wrong movie. The Conductor and I were having a lazy afternoon at his place and he rattled off a list of movie choices. I stopped him at Star Wars (the first one) (or, technically the fourth one…I’m still confused about that).



He made (what I thought was) an offhand comment that his favorite of the series is actually The Empire Strikes Back which is the second (or fifth) one. But I’m an accountant. Numbers go in order. I simply couldn’t watch the second one before the first one.  So I didn't give his comment a second thought. 

At this point, I need to clarify that, while I picked Star Wars, I’m actually more of a Star Trek fan. Which is kind of crazy, considering that Star Wars was released the same day I was born. At anyt rate, I know more of the nuances of Star Trek than Star Wars.

Which explains why, when we got to the end of the movie I was so confused. I turned to the Conductor and said, “Wait a minute. I don’t remember seeing Yoda at all.”


Now, I can’t emphasize enough that the Conductor has always been a gentleman. Always. But there was a VERY perceptible “Duh!!” tone to his voice while he patiently explained, “He doesn’t show up until The Empire Strikes Back which is one of the reasons why I like that one better.”

There it is. I failed. I picked the wrong movie. I’m dating a guy that is respectful and generous and gentlemanly. And how do I pay him back? I make him sit through the wrong episode of Star Wars.

So, to restore order to the Force, I made a belt.



Every time I hear “Obi Wan Kenobi”, it makes me think of an obi belt. I tend to shy away from belts because of my potbelly. I don’t really need anything drawing eyes to my problem spot. But my sister Carrie told me that anyone can wear a belt – it’s just a matter of finding the right one. I’d heard that obi belts were slimming. I’m still not convinced. But I made this one and was brave enough to wear it to work.



What do you think? (Sorry the pose looks so ridiculous.  I was teasing a co-worker right when it was snapped).  But if it’s really *not* slimming, let me know. It’s bad enough I picked the wrong movie. I don’t need to be wearing the wrong belt.

No comments: